Recently I asked on my Facebook Business page what you are struggling with as crafters. Wow - I am getting a great response so far. I truly want to know what you'd like to see so I can help you out - must be the teacher in me, huh!
One comment was from someone who wanted to know how to coordinate colors so I have a fun card idea to share along with my answer.
Whenever I am trying to figure out how to get started, I usually start by heading over to my designer paper box and going through those papers to see what catches my eye. I also often have a theme in mind for making my card, such as birthday, thank you or my weekly letter (card) to my son.
Once a paper design catches my eye, I pull it out of my box and then figure out what the coordinating colors are IN that design. (if you are not sure, check out the catalog that features that paper - there is always a list of colors underneath!)
From that list of colors I choose my card base color, ink color for the phrase or images and accessories.
Once those decisions are made the rest is easy. I choose the stamp set for the phrase or images that I want and then put it all together.
In the card below Country Lane is the designer paper and the colors are Basic Black and Blackberry Bliss. Hint: once you make a card, try a second card right away using a different set of colors in the same designer paper. You end up with a completely different look!
One more thing before you check out my card - this is a very odd combo - match a winter phrase from the First Frost stamp set with a fall paper design! But if you live in Canada, Norway or anywhere north you totally get it!
First Frost card
- Stamp Sets – First Frost (148420)
- Card Stock – Whisper White (106549); Blackberry Bliss (133682)
- Stamp Pads – Blackberry Bliss (147092)
- Misc. – Country Lane Designer Series Paper (DSP) (147804); Starburst Punch (143717); Sprig Punch (148012); (Tea Room Ribbon Combo Pack (146893); Dimensionals (104430); Mini Glue Dots (103683); Tear & Tape (138995)
- Blackberry Bliss Card Stock: 8 ¼ ” x 5 ⅞” scrap(sprig punch)
- Whisper White Card Stock: 5 ¾” x 4” scrap(startburst punch)
- Designer Series Paper 1: 1” x 4”
- Designer Series Paper 2: 3” x 4”
- Fold Blackberry Bliss card stock in half to make the card base.
- Glue the 1” strip of Designer Series Paper to the piece of Whisper White card stock which measures 5 ¾” x 4”
- Glue the other piece of Designer Series Paper next to it. This should now completely cover the piece of Whisper White Card Stock.
- Place the ribbon on top of where the two pieces of Designer Series Paper meet, and secure at the back with Tear & Tape.
- Glue this completed panel to the card base.
- Using Blackberry Bliss ink, stamp the sentiment onto the scrap Whisper White card stock.
- Punch out with the Starburst punch.
- Punch out two sprigs using the Sprig Punch from the scrap Blackberry Bliss card stock.
- Glue the sprigs to the card front.
- Using dimensionals, attach the sentiment to the card front.
- Tie a bow from the ribbon and attach to the card front using a glue dot.